updates from the never

Hanged Man development

I thought I'd post an explanation about one of my recent prints, Hanged Man at the Veil of Paroketh.  This was interesting for me because the meaning and content really manifested on their own.  I had been playing around with graphite drawings of broken bones for some time, thinking about the metaphors and symbolism that come with that imagery.  I was asked to participate in a printmaking exchange portfolio and decided this was the time to incorporate the drawing (as lithography) into a printed edition.  

At the same time, I've been looking at lots of old Golden and Silver age comic books and have been quite taken by the drawings of certain panels.   Instead of appropriating the comic panels out-right (like I've done in older works) I'm making artistic edits and redrawing the image in a way that I want. 

I did a bit of digging around and figured out, to the best of my ability, the general approach used to print these old comic books; I want to recreate the visuals of the color and cheap, off-registered printing that are so common with old comics.  The thing about digital printing is that it is too perfect.  I spent long hours creating many color layers and feigning the poor printing (slight mis-registration, inconsistent inking, hasty color blocks, etc); lots of tests to get the size and orientation of the halftone screens 'correct'.

Next I started dropping layers of traditional printmaking on top of the digital layer.  In some of my previous work I've left a white silhouette on the digital layer that would later be filled with lithographic layers.  Digital printers don't print an image in the exact same spot on every piece of paper (when loading and feeding the paper it moves around enough to muck up tight registration of subsequent layers but not enough to notice by itself).  To overcome this I came up with some time consuming and frustrating ways to get everything lined up.  On this print, I decided to try screen printing the white silhouette on top of the digital image, then print the litho layer on top of that.  Here's what it looked like after printing the limestone litho layer.

The next couple layers (the veil and the thought bubble) are pretty straight forward screen printed layers.  I get into the meanings and interpretation here